My projects color palet building. 3 steps forward, 2 steps back

 This week was a strange, hard but fantastic week!

I have worked all week on my all time first UI design for a mobiel app. A strange set of feelings but i learned so mutch about Figma, my project and myself. Figma was my only tool I used. A complete focus on one tool for one job. The first days it was a dance of 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. Downright frustrating. But fun!

split my project

From the moment I got the hang of Figma a bit, especially how components work. I got an enlightened moment. Let me split my project into the smallest possible pieces. And just concentrate on that part. That's the big lesson I learned for myself, not only for the project but also for my future career as an app builder.

color palet



For example, after the analysis I had made, which you can find here, I knew that I wanted to work with a certain color palette. So I focused on the colors. May sound stupid, but it isn't. I studied the colors of the client and poured them into a color palette. When the color palette was ready I wanted to choose a contrast color. But that turned out to be difficult as long as I didn't know the background color of my screen. So I only chose the contrast color afterwards.

The base color of my project has turned green. Because the city for which the app is made radiates complete nature. And the colors have also been incorporated into different logos of the city.

So two birds with one stone

Just being busy with the colors I not only learned a lot about the colors, but also what I can do with colors within Figma. So two birds with one stone.

the background

Now that the colors are known, I can concentrate on the next part, the background. An important part in my view. The background will be the basis for the appearance of my mobile app.

And what were the characteristics of my design? Easy to read at all times of the day. Not very fine print, because the older people among us don't want to constantly change glasses. And since that is the age range of people visiting our city is 50+, I have to take that into account.

To keep everything legible in a natural way, I opted for a white background with a little green in it, to break the white and stay in the style of the color palette. With a number of (palette) colored objects in that background. Objects that break the square of the screen and radiate nature. I chose parts of circles and ellipses. You can find the design here.


Then I let my creative brain take its course, within the previously set of limits. And the rest is history hahaha. Sounds good dont you think?


In the next post, I'm going to talk about the how, what and where of the navigation and the welcome screen.



Do, believe and be happy,


Stefaan


Thanks to "The Future Academy" on Youtube on the theme of colors.

Thanks to @lindsey_design on twitter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thinking & coding: Linking Firebase to my Flutter App. Watch out for a important detail.

Software developer yes, but where to begin?

Thinking & coding: Small but important code implementations.