INTERLUDIUM: importance of documenting the code while programming

I would like to give an important tip to all newbies like me.


Maybe you ask yourself how can Stefaan give a tip while he is still so new to programming. Well, it comes from the little experience I have gained in the last year. And the many years of experience as an analyst in a think tank.


I am a sole proprietor. I am alone. I don't have any colleagues where I can talk to while writing code. So I am my colleague and so I have to consult with myself. And believe me I don't often get my right hahahaha.


I've found that by documenting my code, in this case my Blogpost articles, I often find the solution to a problem. And this in my own writings. Time and again, my solutions have partly come from my texts. Of course not the full syntax, but certainly a reference to documentation that I could consult.


By writing down what I do. And especially writing down my problems sometimes clarifies the mistakes of my own thinking process. Rereading and rewriting my articles sometimes let the solutions bubble up. Especially if you reread everything a while after the facts. That is why I also program in sessions of maximum 4 hours. And then I start to write my article.


I cannot describe exactly how this psychological work, but it gives myself a clearer line of thinking. Kind of like in mathematics. If you have a mathematical solution, think back for a moment how you arrived at the solution. And whether this can be true in the context of the issue.


I would say if you are going to program, get into the pen or visualize any structure in brain maps, drawings and notes.


Try it, you will see that it works. And if it doesn't always work, don't be afraid to ask someone other than yourself.


Until the next, and be sure to leave your thoughts in the comment section of this article. Thanks in advance for reading.

Do, believe and be happy


Stefaan



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thinking & coding: Linking Firebase to my Flutter App. Watch out for a important detail.

Software developer yes, but where to begin?

Thinking & coding: Small but important code implementations.