What do you mean Flutter?

Flutter never heard of it

So in my search for information to write my first app in Android, and therefore study Kotlin thoroughly, I regularly stumble across the word “Flutter”.  Weird, most things sound familiar to me.  Assembler, C, C ++, Java, Turbo Pascal, Visual basics, C #, COBOL, etc..  But Flutter never heard of it.  Also in my circle of friends there was nobody who knew Dart or Flutter.





As befits a good technician, I want to know all about this.

A framework that runs on a programming language Dart.  A tool to write both Android and IOS apps.  Are you kidding me?  No way!  My target audience in my business plan would suddenly go from 73% to 99%.  That is an extension of my client horizon by 20% before I have written 1 line of code.  Am I not a great businessman?

1 language and 1 framework

Now I was completely curious.  Yes of course, my first plan was to study at least 4 programming languages, and this would now be reduced to 1 language and 1 framework.  This sounds like music to my ears!  But usually beautiful songs don't last long and I was looking for the catch.

I read the documentation and everything will be fine

The first catch for me was how do I get all this installed so that I can get started.  No problem, we read the documentation and everything will be fine.  Now no, not really.  Half of the documentation is Latin to me.  The documentation is not really written for newbies.  And I don't get it.  Then we just search the internet for information.  I literally, as a newbie, translated some sentences word for word and looked them up in Wikipedia.

Pontius Pilate

To start with, my laptop's minimum specifications weren't okay.  So apparently I can't use my laptop from the time of Pontius Pilate.  After purchasing the new laptop, this could no longer be a problem.  So again.  We'll get everything installed after a few days.  And we are as proud as a peacock!

Voila, there we are.  A new laptop, a nice editor and no idea how to start.  I remember very well when my wife asked me after 3 weeks how far I was with my app.  And that I had to tell her, I could only start now.  Her expressions were spectacularly funny, yet loving or full of pity.  I'm still not sure about that.


Fortunately, the people at Flutter have it together after installation.  The editor starts with a mini project.  A small yet comprehensive piece of code.  A perfect basis for experimenting.


Do, Believe and be happy.


Stefaan   



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Software developer yes, but where to begin?

Thinking & coding: Linking Firebase to my Flutter App. Watch out for a important detail.

Thinking & coding: Small but important code implementations.